Tonight I saw my first Off-Broadway show! Huzzah. It's about time. The show was "Dogfight" -- based on the film of the same name. It just started previews on Wednesday night so it hasn't opened yet. I have been dying to see this show ever since Lindsay Mendez left "Godspell" to start rehearsals. And then her "Godspell" co-star, Nick Blaemire, was cast and I was sold.
Let's be real. It was obvious this show was still previews. There were definitely things that will be worked out in the next few days to make sure it's perfect for opening. Things like the fire alarm going off towards the end of the second act because of the smoke machine...
I liked the story. I loved the music. It was funny. It was moving. And there was an epically lit war simulation -- which I am always fond of (think Are We The Waiting from "American Idiot"). Oh and in general it was cast perfectly and beautifully... literally.
The music is Pasek and Paul. For those of you who were at the Goeler girls' voice recital last summer, you heard a couple songs by Pasek and Paul -- I sang Perfect and Jillian sang Lying There. So needless to say I am a huge fan of their music. This score was no exception. It was rock and pop with a little bit of jazz (Lindsay Mendez is an amazing jazz singer).
Celebrity (well my kind of celebrity) sightings: Daniel Goldstein (director of the "Godspell" revival which just closed and that I saw twice), Joe Mantello (director of the show, but he was recently seen in "The Normal Heart" on Broadway), and Christopher Gattelli (choreographer of the show, just won a Tony for choreographing "Newsies").

No comments:
Post a Comment