Guess what?? I finally have something interesting to say!
If you know me, you know that when I do something remotely athletic I will yell out "SPORTS!" Theater and sports really don't mix... except when it comes to Lysistrata Jones, Lombardi, Bring It On: The Musical. Okay, maybe they mix a little... but one of my biggest pet peeves is when high school graduation speeches only include athletic achievements -- as if the only way you learn to become a decent human being is through wearing a cup (which is funny because they have that for theater too... a dance belt).
Well today, not only can I say that I crossed something off my bucket list, but I found out that theater and sports do mix... on Thursdays in Central Park.
The Broadway Show League is a Broadway softball league. That's right, theater professionals playing softball together/against each other. Each show has a team, as well as production companies (Davenport Theatricals), Unions (Local 751 is extremely competitive) and even Jujamcyn!
So today "Jersey Boys" played "Book of Mormon" -- two Jujamcyn shows. AND I GOT TO GO! Super exciting. I have known about the league for a long time, but never had the fortune to actually attend a game. I'm not going to lie to you, they might pretend it's not competitive, but there were some INTENSE moments!
There was not much actual work done today... right when I got in this morning the head of building operations took some of the interns on a backstage tour from a "building operations point of view". We went up on the roof at the St. James and learned about the water towers on each theater and the skylight -- both for handling a fire in the theater. We got to go inside the James and peek at the load-in for Bring It On. They were hanging the lights! And we went to the Hirschfield -- where we got to take a look at a dressing room (surprisingly huge), and the boiler room, and literally the bowels of the theater.
If you actually read this entire post you must really love me. But then again you're complaining that this is boring... so here's something interesting! HUZZAH.
YAY SPORTS. Nice post. Keep up the good work. =]
ReplyDelete