Just got back from opening night of "Bring It On: The Musical" loosely based on the movies. I've never seen the movies so I honestly went in blind, knowing nothing other than the show is about cheerleading.
This is an awesome summer show. If you know me, you know I don't do fluff when it comes to theater. I like dark, edgy, gritty shows -- like "American Idiot" or "Hair" -- with loud music and bright lights. Well guess what... "BIO" has loud music and bright lights... and amazing stunts... and a score where you can literally hear "In The Heights" come through at times.
I love modern musicals because I relate to them and let's be honest, you want to be able to relate to what you're seeing onstage. I am of a certain generation and when a show touches on aspects of my generation that are unique/important it's a lot of fun and it makes me feel like a part of something. BIO does this in a big way. There are jokes about Facebook and Twitter and it's just all so relevant. Lin Manuel Miranda is an EXTREMELY relevant theater artist... he is obsessed with Twitter and Instagram and is constantly updating us through social media on what's important to him. Because of this, he is able to throw these things onstage and make a show that is meaningful to people like me...
The aspect of this show that I related to the most was the idea that high school is just a blip in time and it's important to be involved in what you love instead of what you think other people want you to be involved in. This lesson is one that I never had to learn because I was never one to follow anyone, but I made it through my four years of high school and I think most people need to learn that lesson. This show has a specific demographic and I think these lessons come across loud and clear for just that age group... and it's great because there are things that parents will probably relate to. There are teaching moments in this show! I really think a parent can take her 13 year old daughter to see this show and continue a conversation afterwards.
Honestly the plot was predictable and a bit fluffy, but the music was amazing, the voices were incredible, and the stunts/dancing/choreography was out of this world. I didn't stop smiling the entire show and my mouth was pretty much hanging open during the cheerleading presentations.
| Jujamcyn interns! |
Review Roundup
No comments:
Post a Comment