Hello. So a few weeks ago I posted about the backstage tour of Spider-man: Turn Off The Dark. Well I saw it tonight.
I just want to say that I have never seen a Spider-man movie or read a comic before, so I went into this show completely oblivious to the plot.
From a technical perspective the show is amazing. It's not hard to see how they had issues... everything is always moving and the set pieces are so gigantic that I can just imagine things crashing into each other and having to stop the show to move scenery. It's definitely a spectacle. It was hard to be an audience member and I just found myself looking at everything from the perspective of someone who is "in the business" of theater.
It was cool to sit in the orchestra and get to look up and see Spidey flying only a few feet above. The music had some good moments -- Rise Above is an amazing song. I listened to the cast recording before seeing the show, and it's the first time I had the experience of enjoying the OBC over the live music which means that the show just didn't hold up to what it could be.
Reeve Carney doesn't look like Bono, but he sounds like Bono. There were moments when I really enjoyed his voice and times when I couldn't understand what he was saying because it went a little too "rockstar" and annunciation was just apparently not important. He seemed to enjoy what he was doing and as an audience member that's important for me to see.
Rebecca Faulkenberry as Mary Jane was good. I enjoyed her voice and I actually appreciated how challenging some of her music was. Chemistry between her and Reeve was lacking even though they had some cute moments together.
Robert Cuccioli, who just entered the role of Green Goblin a few days ago, was good (I feel like that's a popular word in this post because nothing was better than good). He was confident in a role that he has just started and I could tell that he was having a good time.
Also the audience just didn't seem into it. There was only scattered applause after musical numbers. The big high-flying fight scene between Goblin and Spidey got some applause at the end. The show has some TERRIFYING moments... I wouldn't bring my little non-existent child to see this show... I'll probably have nightmares!
Biggest issue with the evening... as if it wasn't already obvious that no one understands the point of a standing ovation... how can no one clap during the show but then at the end stand up? I honestly just didn't understand. People just assume that when the lead comes out they are supposed to stand up and clap. I didn't.
Best moment of the show: when Goblin is on hold on the phone and the song playing is U2. I legitimately guffawed and no one else around me laughed... awkward.
hahaha this whole experience sounds awkward.
ReplyDelete