Sunday, July 1, 2012

Hi folks. So today, after interning at Jujamcyn since May, I finally saw "Clybourne Park" -- which won the 2012 Tony for Best Play and was produced by Jujamcyn.

The Walter Kerr is the only open theater owned by Jujamcyn that I hadn't worked in until today. I got to police the handicap bathroom which was oodles of fun (I'm not joking, it actually was fun). And then I got to stay and watch! 

The show was amazing. The script is unlike anything I had ever experienced. Act I and Act II are basically two different shows intertwined through language. While not a comedy, there are some very funny lines. The audience responded well to the jokes and there were extended moments of applause after crucial moments. I do think there was a bit of overacting, particularly in Act I, and I am unsure of why the character of Bev was doing an impersonation of Kristen Wiig. But each cast member had a wonderful moment and overall it was a very very very strong cast. Oh and the ending was spectacular. Don't see this show if you're uncomfortable with silence... because there's a lot of it. That just makes it stronger because so much is said through body language in those silent times.

This show was deserving of the Tony Award... unlike "Once"...


No comments:

Post a Comment