Well... apparently when you take Commedia dell'arte (more specifically "The Servant of Two Masters"), set it in England in the 1960's, add a band with a lead singer that looks like Buddy Holly, and cast James Corden as the servant, you have an INCREDIBLE piece of ABSOLUTELY MIND-BLOWINGLY HYSTERICAL theater.
Let's be real, if you read this blog you know I'm hyper critical when it comes to theater. But this production is perfection. I understand why it didn't win best play -- the set leaves a bit to be desired (but it still works), and the humor/accents very well might be lost on certain folks, but lets be real... every single moment of this show is funny.
James Corden deserved 500 Tony Awards for his performance in this show. 500. I had more fun watching him for 2.5 hours than I had both times I saw Spamalot* (*insert other funny show title here*).
I very very very rarely laugh out loud at the theater, but I was actually in tears during this show. UNCONTROLLABLE LAUGHTER. I loved it.
Perhaps the 2.5 most enjoyable hours I have ever seeing a Broadway show.
The fact that there's music notched the EPIC METER up to 11.
BTW: This is well worth waiting on line since 7:45am (first in line for rush tickets!)
No comments:
Post a Comment